Enjoying Life On The Road: Truck Drivers Guide
A better life on the road can lead to a more enjoyable time
Having a career on the road can be challenging for new truck drivers. Learning how to enjoy the journey is a practice that even seasoned veterans sometimes struggle to remember.
Quick Tips for New Truckers
- Make friends with the dispatcher. This is a simple, straightforward tip. When someone else has control of your load, make sure that person likes and trusts you.
- Timeliness. This will earn you points with the company and put money in your pocket.
- Consider making your own meals. There are room and accessibility for a crockpot or other small appliances, so take advantage of it and avoid living on fast food and convenience store meals.
- Always accept an offered load. Dependability in both time and willingness to work cannot be overstressed.
- Always drive safely. It’s better to get there late, than not at all.
- Enjoy the sites. It won’t all be a panorama of shimmering desert backlit by the setting sun, but when it is, it’s amazing.
During a long haul, staying awake is integral. The road can lull you without you noticing. If you start to feel your eyes pulling or crossing, consider these options for waking yourself: stock up on coffee or energy drinks, pinch your face or crank the radio and sing.
For more information about trucking as a career, contact Apex CDL Institute, LLC today.